Singer / Songwriter
Jonathan Coulton grew up in Colchester CT, a town whose motto is "Where tradition meets tomorrow." He played snare drum in the high school marching band, which was fun, but did not attract any girls (even when he played his tender snare drum arrangement of "You've Got a Friend"). Jonathan switched to guitar and wrote a series of sweet and sad songs about being a teenager and having a vague feeling of overwhelming sadness and sweetness. This worked only marginally better.
Jonathan studied music in college, and sang with an a cappella group called the Spizzwinks, and another one called the Whiffenpoofs. He spent a lot of time on stage in white tie and tails, showing his "jazz hands" only when absolutely necessary.
Jonathan used to write software, but he quit the day job in order to pursue...other things...or something. He is the musical director for Little Gray Books created and hosted by friend John Hodgman, and he is the Contributing Troubadour for Popular Science Magazine (for whom he does a weekly interview podcast).
Jonathan's most recent project was called Thing a Week, in which he produced a new song every week and released it for free as a podcast for an entire year. All of these songs are now available on four CDs in their original order (and state of completion), but you can also buy them from his online store, or from iTunes.
Anime Convention Guest Appearances
- New York Comic Con 2019 - October 3-6, 2019 in New York, NY 2018
- New York Comic Con 2018 - October 4-7, 2018 in New York, NY 2016
- Dragon Con 2016 - September 2-5, 2016 in Atlanta, GA 2014
- New York Comic Con 2014 - October 9-12, 2014 in New York, NY 2013
- Nekocon 2013 - November 1-3, 2013 in Hampton, VA 2011
- Dragon*Con 2011 - September 2-5, 2011 in Atlanta, GA 2010
- Ohayocon 2010 - January 29-31, 2010 in Columbus, OH
View Jonathan Coulton on FanCons.com for 19 additional guest appearances