Voice Actress / Singer
Mari Iijima is an accomplished singer and songwriter who has released numerous top 10 albums through Victor Entertainment Japan and Warner Music Japan. She wrote all of the music for her critically acclaimed debut album "Rosé" (1983), which was produced by renowned composer Ryuichi Sakamoto.
As she was getting ready for her debut album, Mari was chosen to play an animation character named Lynn Minmay who is a singing superstar in the story for a legendary Japanese animation series and film called "Macross" through an audition process, and it brought her to stardom very quickly in Japan. In 2006, she replied the role for the English version of the Macross TV series for ADV films, making her the first actor to voice the same character in both English and Japanese.
Throughout her career, Mari has worked with the music industry's greatest musicians including Alan Parson's Project, Toto, and members of the John Mayer Band. Her 2004 release, "Wonderful People" was a smash hit and stayed on the top of an Indie album chart for over 5 consecutive weeks. Mari has won several awards including the FM Osaka Best New Artist Award and the Japan Audio Society Golden Jubilee Award two years in a row, which is voted on by both Japanese & American judges. She was also nominated for the 2000 Los Angeles Music Awards Best Pop Artist Award for her first independently released album "No Limit". At the 2006 Just Plain Folks Music Awards, Mari won a Best Song Award for her song "Unspoken Love" from her album "Wonderful People".
In addition to singing and songwriting Mari has also appeared in film, television, and on radio in both Japan and the U.S. In 2004, Mari starred in the short feature film "Green Tea-r" and also wrote and performed the film's theme song, "Petal". "Green Tea-r" won the top honor of Grandprix at the Takazuka Film Festival in Japan, Silver Screen Award at US International Film & Video Festival, and was shown at the Berlin Film Festival.
In November 2006, Mari released her 20th studio album, "Uncompromising Innocence", which she wrote, arranged, and produced, with collaborative contributions from David LaBruyere (John Mayer Band), Michael Chaves (John Mayer Band, Low Millions), and the late Mick Karn (Japan, Dali's Car).
Mari has received proof of entry for the 50th Grammy Awards provided entries for 'Swim' a track on her 2006 album "Uncompromising Innocence". Her listed entries are for the "Best Female Pop Vocal Performance" category and the "Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s)" category. Mari released her latest & her 21st studio album "Echo" in Sep, 2010 and she is currently working on her forthcoming EP.
Anime Convention Guest Appearances
- Super Dimension Convention 2017 - October 28, 2017 in Torrance, CA
- Anime Expo 2017 - July 1-4, 2017 in Los Angeles, CA
- Animazement 2017 - May 26-28, 2017 in Raleigh, NC 2016
- Macross World Convention 2016 - October 15, 2016 in Torrance, CA 2015
- Macross World Convention 2015 - October 17, 2015 in Torrance, CA 2014
- Expo TNT 2014 - October 18-19, 2014 in Mexico City, DF, Mexico
- Taiyou Con 2014 - January 3-5, 2014 in Mesa, AZ 2013
Anime Banzai 2013 - October 18-20, 2013 in Layton, UTCancelled Appearance
- Macross World Convention 2013 - October 5, 2013 in Torrance, CA 2012
- Ohayocon 2012 - January 27-29, 2012 in Columbus, OH 2011
- Anime Boston 2011 - April 22-24, 2011 in Boston, MA 2010
- Sac-Anime 2010 - September 3-5, 2010 in Sacramento, CA
- MechaCon 2010 - July 16-18, 2010 in New Orleans, LA
- Anime Oasis 2010 - May 27-30, 2010 in Boise, ID
- Tekkoshocon 2010 - April 8-11, 2010 in Pittsburgh, PA 2008
- Anime Central 2008 - May 16-18, 2008 in Rosemont, IL
- Kawaii Kon 2008 - April 18-20, 2008 in Honolulu, HI
- Tekkoshocon 2008 - April 11-13, 2008 in Pittsburgh, PA 2007
- Ani-Magic 2007 - October 5-7, 2007 in Lancaster, CA
- FanimeCon 2007 - May 25-28, 2007 in San Jose, CA
- Tekkoshocon 2007 - April 13-15, 2007 in Monroeville, PA 2006
- Japantown Anime Faire 2006 - September 16-17, 2006 in San Francisco, CA
- Little Tokyo Anime Festival 2006 - August 12-13, 2006 in Los Angeles, CA
- Anime Mid-Atlantic 2006 - June 16-18, 2006 in Richmond, VA 2005
- Japantown Anime Faire 2005 - December 17-18, 2005 in San Francisco, CA
Anime Overdose 2005 - March 4-6, 2005 in San Francisco, CACancelled Appearance 2004
- Anime Weekend Atlanta 2004 - September 24-26, 2004 in Atlanta, GA 2002
- Nan Desu Kan 2002 - September 20-22, 2002 in Denver, CO
- FanimeCon 2002 - April 26-28, 2002 in Santa Clara, CA 2001
Anime Weekend Atlanta 2001 - September 21-23, 2001 in College Park, GACancelled Appearance
- FanimeCon 2001 - March 30 - April 1, 2001 in Santa Clara, CA 2000
- Nan Desu Kan 2000 - October 13-15, 2000 in Lakewood, CO
- Ani-Magic 2000 - October 6-8, 2000 in Lancaster, CA
- FanimeCon 2000 - February 24-27, 2000 in Santa Clara, CA 1999
- Anime Weekend Atlanta 1999 - October 8-10, 1999 in Duluth, GA
- Anime Expo 1999 - July 16-18, 1999 in Anaheim, CA
- Otakon 1999 - July 2-4, 1999 in Baltimore, MD
- Project: A-Kon 1999 - June 4-6, 1999 in Dallas, TX
- FanimeCon 1999 - March 19-21, 1999 in San Jose, CA
36 confirmed guest appearances
View Mari Iijima on FanCons.com for 1 additional guest appearances