Ellen McLain, the voice of GLaDOS, the artificial intelligence antagonist in Portal (for which she won an AIAS Interactive Achievement Award for Outstanding Achievement in Character Performance) and Portal 2, hails from Nashville, Tennessee. She has worked in theater and opera for over thirty years. Her professional career began on Broadway with Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady and with the legendary Peggy Lee in her show, Peg. Ellen's credits range from Linda Loman in Death of a Salesman to Mimi in La Boheme. McLain provides voices for many characters in several video games from Valve. Among them are the announcer in Team Fortress 2, and the voice of the Combine overwatch for the Half-Life 2 series.
McLain is the only person to have her voice in all the games in the Orange Box. She sang the ending credits song to Portal, "Still Alive" and Portal 2, "Want You Gone", both written by Jonathan Coulton, and sang the Turret Opera by Mike Morasky featured at the end of Portal 2.
McLain now lives in Seattle with her husband, fellow voice actor John Patrick Lowrie, who insisted she get a voice demo for years and is therefore responsible for her subsequent fame as the much loved and hated GLaDOS.
Anime Convention Guest Appearances
- NotCon at Sea 2019 - February 15-18, 2019 in Departing from Miami, FL 2017
- Zenkaikon 2017 - April 28-30, 2017 in Lancaster, PA 2014
- ConnectiCon 2014 - July 10-13, 2014 in Hartford, CT
- Omni Expo 2014 - May 23-25, 2014 in Orlando, FL
- Kitacon 2014 - March 28-30, 2014 in Birmingham, UK 2013
Youmacon 2013 - October 31 - November 3, 2013 in Detroit, MICancelled Appearance Meta Con 2013 - August 30 - September 1, 2013 in Minneapolis, MNCancelled Appearance
- Anime Midwest 2013 - July 5-7, 2013 in Rosemont, IL 2012
- Dragon*Con 2012 - August 31 - September 3, 2012 in Atlanta, GA
- San Japan 2012 - August 10-12, 2012 in San Antonio, TX
- Kitacon 2012 - April 13-15, 2012 in Birmingham, UK
- MomoCon 2012 - March 16-18, 2012 in Atlanta, GA 2011
- Anime Midwest 2011 - July 15-17, 2011 in St. Charles, IL