Artist / Creator
Stan Sakai was born in Kyoto, Japan, grew up in Hawaii, and now lives in Southern California with his wife, Sharon, and children, Hannah and Matthew. He received a Fine Arts degree from the University of Hawaii, and did further studies at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California.
His creation, Usagi Yojimbo, is the story of a samurai rabbit living in a feudal Japan populated by anthropomorphic animals. Usagi first appeared in Albedo Comics #2 in 1984. Since then, he has been on television as a guest of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, on clothing, toys, in comic books, games, and in a series of trade paperback collections. His books have been translated into ten languages, including Polish and Croatian.
In 1991, Stan created Space Usagi, the adventures of a descendant of the original Usagi, dealing with the samurai in a futuristic setting. Stan also serves as the letterer for Sergio Aragones' Groo the Wanderer comic books and the Spider-Man Sunday newspaper strip. He is the recipient of a number of awards, including a Parent's Choice Award, an Inkpot, multiple Eisners, two Spanish Haxturs, an American Library Association Award, and a National Cartoonists Society Comic Book Division Award. He has spoken at venues such as The College of William and Mary, The Connecticut Historical Society, the Japanese-American National Library, and the Japan Tower in Brussels.
Stan is published by Dark Horse Comics and Fantagraphics Books. There are twenty volumes of his collected works, all in print. The most recent, Usagi Yojimbo Book 19: Fathers and Sons, was published in July, 2005.
Stan enjoys traveling and has been exhibited internationally. When he was in Norway as a guest of the Raptus International Comics Festival in Bergen, one of the highlights was partaking of the local cuisine, such as the abundant seafood, moose, reindeer, and even sheep's head.
Anime Convention Guest Appearances
- FanExpo Canada 2019 - August 22-25, 2019 in Toronto, ON, Canada 2018
- Rose City Comic Con 2018 - September 7-9, 2018 in Portland, OR
- Salón Internacional del Comic de Barcelona 2018 - April 12-15, 2018 in Barcelona, Spain 2016
- Phoenix Comicon 2016 - June 2-5, 2016 in Phoenix, AZ 2015
- Lucca Comics and Games 2015 - October 29 - November 1, 2015 in Lucca, Italy 2012
- Katsucon 2012 - February 17-19, 2012 in National Harbor, MD
- Animé Los Angeles 2012 - January 6-8, 2012 in Los Angeles, CA 2011
- Phoenix Comicon 2011 - May 26-29, 2011 in Phoenix, AZ 2009
- Kawaii Kon 2009 - April 10-12, 2009 in Honolulu, HI 2006
- Kawaii Kon 2006 - April 14-16, 2006 in Honolulu, HI 2005
- Anime Weekend Atlanta 2005 - September 23-25, 2005 in Atlanta, GA
- Anime North 2005 - May 27-29, 2005 in Toronto, ON, Canada 2003
- Anime North 2003 - May 16-18, 2003 in Toronto, ON, Canada 2002
- AnimeIowa 2002 - August 23-25, 2002 in Cedar Rapids, IA
- A-Kon 2002 - May 31 - June 2, 2002 in Dallas, TX 2001
- FanimeCon 2001 - March 30 - April 1, 2001 in Santa Clara, CA 2000
- FanimeCon 2000 - February 24-27, 2000 in Santa Clara, CA 1999
- Baka!-Con 1999 - April 23-25, 1999 in Tukwila, WA
18 confirmed guest appearances
View Stan Sakai on FanCons.com for 30 additional guest appearances